Are you tired of the fact that it's a struggle for many to find housing on the Cape? Or perhaps you are unhappy with the fact that your friends, family, neighbors and employees struggle to live on the Cape? You can do something about it. The Cape Housing Advocacy Training will teach you what you need to know to support the creation of more housing on Cape Cod, including affordable housing. If you are passionate about making sure that people on Cape Cod have a place to live that they can afford, then this training is for you. You have the power to improve your community and make it stronger.
Note: this training will not cover how to find housing for yourself (or your clients). It also will not cover how to fill out forms related to applying for housing.
Training is offered in 2 locations. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. If one session is full, consider joining a different session.
- Outer Cape Housing Advocacy Training: February 2, 2019, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Wellfleet Preservation Hall, 335 Main St, Wellfleet, MA 02667
- Lower Cape Housing Advocacy Training: February 23, 2019, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Harwich Community Center, 100 Oak Street, Harwich
Training is offered in Barnstable, Mashpee & Yarmouth through Housing Assistance Corporation. Click here to register for these Mid and Upper Cape sessions.
You will learn:
- Basics of the Cape's Housing Crisis
- What's Going On in Your Town
- How Public Housing Decisions are Made
- Your Opportunities to Engage
- Common Arguments Against Housing (NIMBY: Not In My Backyard)
- Counter Arguments to Support Housing (YIMBY: Yes In My Backyard)
- How to Frame Your Message
- Speaking with Confidence
- Interactive Practice
- Ways You Can Help: Attend Public Meetings; Contact Public Officials; Write Letters to the Editor; and More!
Eligibility: all are welcome to attend, however, this training is best suited for Cape Cod residents struggling to find affordable housing, Cape Codders who spend more than 30% of their income on housing, Business owners struggling to find housing for their workers, High school or college students interested in learning how to be housing advocates and all who are passionate about supporting the creation and preservation of affordable housing. Municipal officials and staff who are working on affordable housing will be better served by attending our next Cape Housing Institute starting Fall of 2019.
Questions? Contact Andrea Aldana, Director of Housing Advocacy, (508) 240-7873 x10, Andrea@capecdp.org