Are you tired of struggling to find housing? Or perhaps you are unhappy with the fact that your friends, family, neighbors and employees struggle to live on the Cape? You can do something about it. The Cape Housing Advocacy Training will teach you what you need to know to support the creation of more housing on Cape Cod, including affordable housing. If you are passionate about making sure that people on Cape Cod have a place to live that they can afford, then this training is for you. Learn how decisions are made, by whom, and how to influence them. You have the power to improve your community and make it stronger.
Eligibility: all are welcome to attend, however, this training is best suited for
- Cape Cod residents struggling to find affordable housing
- Cape Codders who spend more than 30% of their income on housing
- Business owners struggling to find housing for their workers
- High school or college students interested in learning how to be housing advocates
- Those who are passionate about supporting the creation and preservation of affordable housing
Municipal officials and staff who are working on affordable housing will be better served by attending our next Cape Housing Institute starting fall of 2018. Click here to join our email list for notifications.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- How housing is created
- Common arguments against housing (NIMBY)
- Counter arguments to support housing (YIMBY)
- How to tell your story
- Speaking with confidence
- How town government works
- How you can have an impact
Training is offered in 4 locations. Choose to attend a series of 3 weekly sessions OR one full day session.
- Mid-Cape Housing Advocacy Training: February 13, 20 & 27, 2018, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Shepley Showcase, 75 Benjamin Franklin Way, Hyannis
- Outer Cape Housing Advocacy Training: February 13, 20 & 27, 2018, 5:00pm - 6:30pm, Wellfleet Public Library, 55 West Main Street, Wellfleet
FULL DAY SESSIONS:
- Lower Cape Housing Advocacy Training: February 17, 2018, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Harwich Community Center, 100 Oak Street, Harwich
- Upper Cape Housing Advocacy Training: March 3, 2018, 8:00am - 1:00pm, Falmouth Public Library, Hermann Room, 300 Main Street, Falmouth